3.14.2011

Italian White Bean & Kale Soup - Gluten Free and Vegan



I love soup, especially on drizzly days like we've been experiencing in Portland lately. Although "drizzly" does not even begin to describe it... because it has been pouring buckets. The crazy (usual) weather was making my soup-pot look mighty attractive and within no time I had visions of carrots, celery and beans dancing around in my head. I was dreaming up something warm and hearty, something brimming with leafy kale and italian herbs, something to make me forget all about the rain and be thankful for soup weather.

White Bean and Kale Soup
Serves 4

2 tbs Canola Oil
1 cup Yellow Onion, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Celery Stalks, halved lengthwise and sliced
2 Large Carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
32 oz Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
14.5 oz Italian Diced Tomatoes
14.5 oz Cannelloni Beans
4 cups Kale, chopped and packed, tough stems removed
1/2 tsp Dried Sage
1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/4 tsp Paprika
Blacker Pepper, to taste


1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, heating until fragrant, about another minute.

2. Add the carrots and celery, sautéing for 5 - 10 minutes until tender.

3. Add the broth, tomatoes and beans (both undrained) and kale. Add the sage, rubbing it between your fingers, rosemary and paprika. Stir to combine.

4. Bring the soup to a boil then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked enough.

5. Crack fresh pepper to taste and serve.



I have been on a kale kick lately, so I knew I wanted a soup with this powerful green as the star ingredient - and I think it shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment