3.09.2011

Gluten Free Vegan Pad Thai



I have a confession to make. A few weeks ago, in a fury of hunger and a low blood-sugar inducing bad mood, I ate a vegan pad thai and it was sick, gross, nasty. It tasted like it was made with ketchup. I forgot to ask if the sauce had sugar in it, but it did. It was so sugary gross. I couldn't eat it and I was so sad. Ever since then I have been determined to try and make my own. And by golly, I did.

Another confession; this is not an authentic pad thai. One reason being that I could not find any tamarind at the last minute, but I don't care. It is pleasing to the taste buds and works for me as a pad thai. It was also exciting to put together and felt like a true accomplishment in the vegan, gluten-free world of recipes. In fact, Andrew (whom one would think doesn't express excitement due to his quiet, calm and unassuming nature - quite a stark contrast from myself) kept exclaiming that it was really good and how much he liked it and telling me "good job babe!". And that my friends is how I know I have struck gold.


Gluten-Free Vegan Pad Thai
Serves 2-3

Ingredients:

8 0z. Flat Rice Noodles
8 oz Tempeh, cubed (optional)
2 tbs Canola Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 cups Broccoli Florets (or 2 bunches)
1 Carrot, sliced thin
8 Green Onions, whites and greens separated
5 tbs Agave Syrup
4 tbs Gluten Free Tamari (San-J brand)
2 Limes, 1 for garnish and the other for 2 tbs juice
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (1 tsp for more heat)
2 cups Bean Sprouts (+ more for garnish)
1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts, chopped


1. Cook the rice noodles according to the package, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.

2. Heat oil in wok or large pan over medium heat, adding the garlic and sautéing until fragrant, about one minute.

3. Add the tempeh, broccoli, carrots and the white green onions. Saute for a few minutes.

4. Add the tamari, agave syrup, lime juice, red pepper flakes.

5. Add the noodles and bean sprouts.

6. Stir to combine and cook until the veggies are heated and tender, but still with some crunch in them.

7. Serve with a garnish of bean sprouts, lime slices and crushed peanuts.


Nom, nom, nom.


1 comment:

  1. I can safely say that this was right up there with the best pad thai I've ever had...so delicious, thank you for the wonderful recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete