10.29.2010

It's a Party! GF Vegan Chex Mix!



When I was a little girl I used to love visiting my Great Grandma Casey (except for her poodle named Jodie). In her spare room she had a drawer full of books and games for the grand-kids to play with, which made me feel so special. I was also in awe of the giant, gold clock in the dining room that looked like the sun's rays, not because I liked it, but because of how pointy, sharp and shiny it looked.

Grandma Casey also had the most amazing collection of salt and pepper shakers that she would let me play with and a silver dust pan and brush that I absolutely loved to use. I would be on the look out for anything that needed to be swept up. She even had a fruit dryer where she made fresh fruit leather! Her backyard had cherry and apple trees, and all sorts of berry bushes and I loved getting to pick the fresh fruit. And at her dinners it felt like she always made salmon and mashed potatoes - which were my favorites.

Perhaps my favorite treasure at her house was the pink, glass dish that sat by one of her very comfortable lounge chairs. Every time I would visit, I'd immediately run to it to claim my prize. Then throughout the visit I would constantly sneak whatever it held. Sometimes it was red and black licorice and orange slices and other times it was full of her famed "Crispix Party Mix".

Grandma Casey made the best crispix mix. Below is not her recipe, but one of my own creation. I am not trying to out-due or even imitate her recipe, but I am dedicating my party mix recipe to her....

Oh, I inherited that pink bowl.

Chex Party Mix

Ingredients:

5 cups Corn Chex

5 cups Rice Chex

1 cup Gluten Free Cheerios*

1 cup Gluten Free Pretzels (I used Ener-G Wylde)

4 tbs Olive Oil

2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce*

1 tsp Seasoning Salt*

1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp Onion Powder

*Check the ingredients to make sure these are gluten free and vegan. Some brands are not.

Preheat oven to 250
1. In a large bowl combine the chex, cheerios and pretzels.
2. In a small bowl combine the oil, sauce, seasoning salt and powders. Stir with a fork to mix well. Then drizzle over the dry mix. Stir to evenly coat.
3. Pour the mix into an oven-safe dish and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

As we enter chex mix season (Halloween through New Years), I am fairly certain I will eating far too much of this stuff. It's addictive - you've been warned.

2 comments:

  1. This has me excited for the holidays! I'm stoked to start making this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meghan,

    your post is wonderful and your chex-mix looks fabulous! i hope you've enjoyed it. thank you for sharing it.

    as i read through your wonderful, vivid post about your childhood with your grandma casey, i couldn't help but reminisce on my childhood memories at my grand-parents' house and the special times i had with them. thank you for the walk down memory lane.

    take care,
    morgan amanda

    ReplyDelete