11.09.2010

Vegan Almond Milk


There is something so satisfying about making your own milk! Sure there are tons of options at the store, as well as plenty of flavors, but even with all those options, I have always wanted to try making my own milk. I finally got the courage and realized just how easy and fun it is!

So far I have only ventured into making almond milk, but I have been really happy with it. I bought a bulk bag of raw almonds at Costco, found a nut milk bag at a local Farmer's Market and happily pour this stuff on my cereal and into recipes. While it does seem much thinner compared to store bought milks, it is so pure and healthy. I know exactly what goes into it and am happy with the results.

You will need a blender and a nut bag or cheesecloth to make this milk, or I think a very fine strainer or sieve could possibly work (though it might not be as easy). I also use a large mixing bowl with a spout to drain my milk into, which makes it much easier to pour into a bottle or container when finished. The first time I made this I ended up with more milk on the counter than in my designated milk bottle - which is why I offer the above^ advice.

Almond Milk

1 cup raw almonds (unsalted, not roasted)
4 cups water
3 tbs agave nectar (or omit for unsweetened milk)
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Soak the almonds overnight in a bowl. Place enough water in the bowl to cover the almonds by an inch or two.

2. In the morning or after soaking for at least 8 hours, drain and rinse the almonds.

3. Pour the almonds, 4 cups of water, agave nectar and vanilla into a blender. Blend on high for a couple of minutes, until the almonds are well blended.

4. Pour the mixture into a nut bag placed over a large [mixing] bowl and let the milk drain through the bag into the bowl, while the pulp remains in the bag. Gently squeeze to get all the milk out (OR place a cheesecloth over a wire colander and place in a large bowl. Pour the mixture through that, pressing to squeeze all milk through).

5. Pour into a container and refrigerate. I find that mine stays tasting it's best for 3-5 days and that it needs to be shaken up a little before using.


My favorite part: the beautiful foam!


No comments:

Post a Comment