5.10.2010

Basil Love.



In March I planted five tiny little basil seeds and did not think anything would ever become of them. Mostly because I am famous for killing off plants by dehydrating them and then excessively watering them in the hopes to bring them back to life. I have not quite figured out when they die during my two-step plant care. Anyway, I am beyond trilled to have basil just shooting right up (even if the 5th seed never sprouted). I can happily say I am about to transport it to our outdoor herb garden in the hopes of having abundant basil this summer!

On that note, I love basil. It is my favorite herb and I can never get enough of it. So one day I was thinking about how great homemade pizza with basil sounded (I spend a lot of time contemplating food). So, I just whipped some up! It was gluten free and vegan and oh so delicious. If you are looking for a good pizza crust recipe - I don't have one... yet. If you are looking for a good pizza mix - I do have one! Bob's Red Mill GF Pizza Crust is very good and I simply replace the egg with flaxseed meal and water.

1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal plus three tablespoons of water = 1 egg. Just stir it and let it sit for a minute or two before adding in place of an egg.

Anyway, it was really awesome pizza. It had basil, onion, tomato, kalamata olives, pine nuts and pizza sauce.

So if you are hankering some GF/vegan pizza, give "Bob's" a try!!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea you can replace egg with flax/water. Bob's crust is the best GF I've tried. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it works wonderfully! Flaxseed meal is great! I use it in baked goods like muffins, crusts, waffles, pancakes, etc. It adds a multigrain/whole wheat flavor and texture to GF products. I also use Ener-G Egg Replacer too for things that I don't want to get a grain like quality, or sometimes half a banana can work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can we have a pizza night soon, please?? your food pictures make me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete