GF Vegan Pesto and Vegetable Lasagna!
Oh. my. goodness. Can I just say that eating this GF and vegan lasagna felt like heaven?! Oh. my. goodness.
Layers of noodles, eggplant, portobello mushrooms, spinach, pesto, "cheese" and marinara sauce made this one of the best meals I have ever made. My husband and I ate half of the whole casserole in one sitting! It tastes too good to be true - but it is! It is!
So my secrets? Tinkyada GF Lasagna noodles, Follow Your Heart mozzarella cheese and homemade pesto!
And it's so simple!
Here are the Ingredients:
8 Tinkyada lasagna sheets
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp thyme
4 cloves minced garlic
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
2 portobello mushrooms (sliced 1/4 inch think)
2 cups blanched spinach
15 - 20 eggplant cicular slices
1 shredded block of Follow Your Heart mozzarella "cheese"
1/2 cup pesto sauce
Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
*Pesto Sauce Directions*
(You can certainly omit or use store bought if you prefer, but this recipe is dairy free)
- In a food processor blend 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, salt, black pepper, 4 fresh garlic clove. Then add olive oil and pine nuts (start with a little of both and add until you get the consistency you want).
1. Pre-cook 8 Tinkyada lasagna sheets until they are al dente (careful not to over cook).
2. Heat 2 TBS oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add chopped onion and saute about 5 minutes until soft.
4. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
5. Add basil and parsley and tomato puree and simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
6. While the sauce is simmering, place the sliced mushrooms and eggplant onto a baking sheet. Mix 1/4 olive oil, 1 tsp of garlic and thyme and brush it onto the vegetables. Bake them for 5-8 minutes.
7. Line a casserole dish with 4 cooked lasagna sheets.
8. Put down your first layer of eggplant and mushroom slices, spinach and pesto sauce. Top with half of the tomato sauce and half of the cheese.
9. Repeat the layer and sprinkle all the remaining cheese on the top.
10. Bake 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
And enjoy... !