2.15.2011

Vegan Celebration Salsa!



Lately I feel like there is a lot to celebrate; the winter temperatures slowly rising and the beautiful, bright, sunny days we've had in Portland. Spring is steadily approaching (the groundhog said it was coming early!) and I can feel and smell it in the air. I'm even celebrating my own personal triumphs of getting back into a regular yoga practice for the past month and feeling my body responding. And celebrating special occasions with others, such as my mother-in-law's birthday, which is today (Happy Birthday Sherrie!) and February 13th, which was the anniversary of the day Andrew and I first met. We call it our "friendversary" and it might sound really silly, but to us it is our Valentines Day and every year I look forward to celebrating the day we met. This year was no different as we celebrated the day with love notes, flowers, chocolates, as well as dressing up and going out to a fancy dinner at Oba! It is our favorite place to go out for an expensive, romantic, dressed to the nines evening and we loooove a vegan-ized version of their butternut squash enchiladas with quinoa salad.

So with all this celebrating going on, it seemed fitting to share my recipe for celebration salsa (and I had a hankering)! This past summer my brother and sister-in-law kept bringing this amazing salsa to all our family functions. It was so fresh and pretty and everybody raved about it - so naturally one day I was craving it but didn't have the recipe, so I crafted my own, inspired by the ingredients I loved in the original.

I dubbed it "celebrations salsa" because it seems to be perfect for all kinds of get-togethers; birthdays, bbqs, luncheons, parties, game nights, picnics. It is so simple, incredibly healthy and has the freshest flavor. Wait, can I mention again that it is so simple?!



Celebration Salsa

Ingredients:

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can shoe-peg corn, rinsed and drained
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 limes

Simply toss all the prepared ingredients into a bowl and squeeze the juice of two limes over the top. Toss well and serve chilled. (Yup, that's it!)

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment